Friday 12/14/18 7 PM 3707 Penn.
A monthly get-together with people interested in the media. Food, friends, discussion. Continuing the discussion of a series on the media for 2019.
We discussed have a monthly series of programs themed, “Do You Trust Your Media” which would have a panel discussion, or guest speakers. Some ideas we kicked around were:
- Legal Issues in the Media – where we could invite experts like Robin and encourage discussion;
- Conversion Therapy in the Media – how media uncritically cover fundamentalist “conversion therapy” which attempts through torturous ways to convert homosexuals away from the way they were born;
- Religion in the Media – how some religions are covered in the more “equally” and accurately than other religions;
- Media – for Profit, or Not-for profit – difficulty and successes of some independent media and why they are successful or fail;
- Why do Conservatives and Progressives Hate the Media – panel discussion of people from opposite points of view on the media – could be lively;
- Honesty in Reporting – Is there really such thing as “objective media” and how do we tell?;
- Panel of People Who Have Left the Media – forced out or quit like those recently from channel 4 and the Kansas City Star. And what are their perspectives on the place they left and media in general.
These are just a few ideas on programs for 2019 and we need more topics to fill out the year. We targeted the first of the series for the 18th of January and discussed looking for a good venue to have these presentations. Ideas on a location are needed preferably a place that might allow drink, and light food. More media topics are needed, and we decided to discuss this further at our next social event / pot luck.
Decided to have the next potluck on the 14th of December (next week) at 3707 Penn. 7 PM.