The Friends of Community Media meeting scheduled for 1/19/19 has been postponed because of the weather. Check back for a new rescheduled time for Sunday 3:00 PM 1/27/19 at the KKFI Annex.
Friday 12/14/18 7 PM 3707 Penn.
A monthly get-together with people interested in the media. Food, friends, discussion. Continuing the discussion of a series on the media for 2019.
- Legal Issues in the Media – where we could invite experts like Robin and encourage discussion;
- Conversion Therapy in the Media – how media uncritically cover fundamentalist “conversion therapy” which attempts through torturous ways to convert homosexuals away from the way they were born;
- Religion in the Media – how some religions are covered in the more “equally” and accurately than other religions;
- Media – for Profit, or Not-for profit – difficulty and successes of some independent media and why they are successful or fail;
- Why do Conservatives and Progressives Hate the Media – panel discussion of people from opposite points of view on the media – could be lively;
- Honesty in Reporting – Is there really such thing as “objective media” and how do we tell?;
- Panel of People Who Have Left the Media – forced out or quit like those recently from channel 4 and the Kansas City Star. And what are their perspectives on the place they left and media in general.
Just got this notice from the event people:
You’ve been selected as one of the 50 winners to receive POV’s special Dark Money party pack! 🎉🎉🎉 You’ll be receiving snacks, a
POV mug, coasters, a pen and a tote plus some vintage POV memorabilia in addition to Dark Money swag. We hope you’re looking forward to munching on some gourmet 🍿🍿🍿 and 🍫🍫🍫 while you and your friends watch the premiere on October 1st. Your swag should arrive within 10 days. Try not to eat up the snacks prior to the broadcast! 😋😋😋
Make the most out of your viewing party with our Dark Money companion materials:
Discussion Guide: Includes background information on dark money and campaign finance, as well as discussion prompts, tips for taking action and a resource list.
Lesson Plan: In this lesson plan for educators, students will examine a case study about how corporate donations to American political campaigns influence elections.
Reading List: Delve deeper into the issue of campaign finance with this list of fiction and non-fiction books for adults and younger readers.
Help spread the word to your community so they may join in the conversation as well with the Dark Money National Viewing Party Social Media Toolkit. This toolkit contains sample posts for Facebook and Twitter, plus photos.
Be sure to use the hashtag #DarkMoneyFilmPBS, so we can see your post and don’t forget to take a photo with your new swag and tag us using @POVdocs.
We look forward to hearing your voice on October 1st!
If you have any questions concerning the Dark Money National Viewing Party or your Dark Money party pack, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates to media news with links now available – go to the NEWS menu item above.
A daily posting of media news will now be found under the news menu – sometimes the news media are out of focus – like above!
Friends of Community Media has T-shirts for sale at $ 15.00. Contact us at savethemedia.org.
The shirt says that media are the enemy of the venal (who seem to be in charge these days). Defined as: Capable of being bought or obtained for money or other valuable consideration :purchasable; especially : open to corrupt influence and especially bribery : mercenary Example: A venal poltician.
Meeting Friday 9/7/18 at 39th & Main Annex Room 2nd floor down the hall.
Kicking the Koch Habit – Learn and do something about billionaires attempting to control all the media! For tickets: